Name: Dr. Donát RÉTFALVI
Place and Date of Birth: Pécs, Hungary, 17th of Jun 1976
Occupation: Architect; Interior designer; Associate Professor at the University of Pécs (UP), Faculty of Engineering and Information Technology (FEIT), Institute of Architecture, Department of Interior, Applied and Creative Design;
Head of the Institute
Qualification: Master in Architecture (2001); Architectural Engineer (1999)
Academic Degree: Habilitation (2011); Doctor of Liberal Arts in Architecture (DLA) (2007)
List of All Publications: https://m2.mtmt.hu/gui2/?type=authors&mode=browse&sel=10013273
(at Hungarian Collection of Scientific Publications (MTMT)
ORCid ID: 0000-0001-9962-9981
Scopus Author ID: 57222048494
English: without certificate, level B2-C1, intensive used over the past years
German: ÖSD (Österreichisches Sprachdiplom Deutsch) state-recognized language exam in German language, primary level (B1) (certificate No: 126035) (2003)
Hungarian: Native Language
STUDIES AND SCHOLARSHIPS ABROAD:
2018 Erasmus Staff Mobility Program – Short Term Experience at AAPA /Architetetti Associati Agoston, in Verona, Italy
2016 Erasmus Staff Mobility Program – jun-oct. 2016, visiting professor at University of San Carlos, School of Architecture, Fine Arts and Design, Cebu, Philippines
2013 Campus Hungary Scholarship at the Department of Civil Engineering, Metropolitan State University of Denver, in Colorado, the USA, for two months.
2018 – Head of the Institute of Architecture, University of Pécs, Faculty of Engineering and Information Technology (UP FEIT), Pécs, Hungary
2015-2018 Head of Department of Visual Studies, at the University of Pécs, Faculty of Engineering and Information Technology (UP FEIT), Institute of Architecture
2012-2015 Head of Department of Architecture and Visual Studies, at the University of Pécs, Pollack Mihály Faculty of Engineering and Information Technology (UP FEIT), Institute of Architecture
2011 – Associate professor at the University of Pécs, Faculty of Engineering and Information Technology (UP FEIT), Institute of Architecture, Department of Interior, Applied and Creative Design)
2008-2011 Assistant professor at the University of Pécs, Pollack Mihály Faculty of Engineering, Institute of Architecture, Department of Design and Architecture
2002-2008 Assistant lecturer at the University of Pécs, Pollack Mihály Faculty of Engineering, Institute of Architecture, Department of Design and Architecture
2001-2002 External tutor at the University of Pécs, Pollack Mihály Faculty of Engineering, Institute of Architecture, Department of Design and Architecture
CURRENT ACADEMIC ACTIVITY:
· Course Director in the Graduate Programmes of the Faculty (UP Neptun data):
Applied Visual Studies 2., Design Studio 3 - 4, BA Thesis, Portfolio, Design 2., Digital Presentation, Research in interior design, Environment presentation practice, Space and object depiction I.
· Other instructed courses in graduate training (current information) (UP Neptun data):
Complex Design 4., Complex Design, Design 2-3.,
· Supervision of doctoral students at Doctoral School
Both in Hungarian and English Language at the University of Pécs, Marcel Breuer Architectural Doctoral School
· Supervised doctoral students (doktori.hu data):
CHU XIAOHUI (PhD) (2019), György HALÁSZ (50%)(DLA)(2012), Bianka SZINTÉN (50%)(DLA) (expected graduation: 2022), Raphael Awyetu JATAU (50%)(DLA) (expected graduation: 2023), Réka BORBÁS (50%) (DLA)(expected graduation: 2023), Réka MARKOVICS (50%) (DLA)(expected graduation: 2023), Noémi KÓKAI (PhD) (expected graduation: 2025), Csilla HEGEDŰS (DLA) (expected graduation: 2023), Fernanda Marx de ANDRADE (DLA)(expected graduation: 2023)
Developing teaching materials:
With the titles ‘Digital Presentation’ educational materials financed by the ZENFE competition (2015).
Students' Research Association competitions (TDK, ÚNKP, Kriszbacher I Scholarship):
· ÚNKP: Bianka SZINTÉN, Generating positive social change by Micro-art interventions (2019); The present of humanitarian architecture - Homes for the homeless in Hungary (2021);
Réka SÁRKÖZI, The influence of the built environment on young people (2017);
Zsuzzsanna TARR, Analysis of suburbanisation trends in Pécs-Somogy (2019);
Kata VARJÚ, Design methods for the community architecture of the slum (2019);
· KIÖ: Zsuzzsanna TARR, Rethinking agricultural architecture (2019);
Kata VARJÚ, The Village Without Workplaces: Architectural Programming and Engagement in Alternative Job Creation – Gilvánfa (2019)
· OTDK: 21. National Scientific Student Conference (OTDK) (2013), Architecture Section, Supervising student Péter KORONCZI (I. PRIZE);
21. MSSC (OTDK) (2013), Architecture Section, Supervising student Anett MIZSEI (II. PRIZE);
21. NSSC (OTDK) (2013), Design Section, Supervising student Edina MATYÓ (II. PRIZE);
23. NSSC (OTDK) (2017), Art, Art History, Architecture, Architectural Theory Section, Supervising student Bianka SZINTÉN (I. PRIZE);
35. NSSC (OTDK) (2021), Architecture, Architectural Theory Section, Supervising student Kata Varjú (I. PRIZE)
Supervised Final Design Projects since 2010: 126 (18 Award winner)
PARTICIPATION IN RESEARCH PROJECTS:
· Project A2-84 to upgrade the existing Bsc in Architecture from the Hungarian language to the English language. Review and control of teaching capacities (load) and selecting the corresponding subject directors and subject coordinators. Programme alignment of the Bsc with the MSc. (2020-2021)( EFOP-3.4.3-16-2016-00005)
· 3D VR for the navigation inside the FEIT building: professional management of the Interactive development, training for the realisation of the project, Archicad modelling, task discussion with the students. (2018-2019)( EFOP-3.4.4-16-2017-00004)
· Development of the content for the 3D VR e-learning curriculum of the subject "Digital Presentation".
TEMATICS: I. Subject of publication, II. Presentation techniques, III. Preparing a CV and portfolio, IV. How to create a low budget office?, V. Concluding thoughts (2019) (EFOP-3.5.1-16-2017-00003)
· "Supporting the work of the UP FEIT National Scientific and Art Conference of Students Associations": participation in the work of the UP FEIT National Scientific Conference of Students, reviewing student research work. (2018) (NTP-HHTDK-17-0021)
· Parameterized comfort in physical spaces (well-being): student coordination for parameterized comfort and biomedical engeenering research. Preparation of a publication. (2019-2020)( TUDFO/51757-1/2019-ITM)
Parameterized Comfort in Physical Spaces Research Team (https://english.mik.pte.hu/parameterized-comfort-in-physical-spaces-research-team)
2005 – Individual Architectural and Interior Design activity (www.retfalvidonat.com)
2009 – 2017 r + g architect studio ltd. – co-owner, architect, interior designer
2007 – 2017 cooperation with Másfél Architect Office Ltd., C.S.Ő.Architect Office Ltd.
1999 – 2010 Bachman and Bachmann Architect Office – architect assistant
1995 – 1996 Erb and Partners Architect Office – architect intern
NATIONAL, INTERNATIONAL ACADEMIC AND PROFESSIONAL ACTIVITY, CONFERENCES
(5 most significant from the last five years)
2016 IPD Ideas Talk – Presentation entitled: “Life between Architecture - Connect people through architecture”, 19. July 2016 Cebu city, Philippines
2013 Association of Economic and Scientific Societies "How Hungary will continue in the European Union" 94th professional forum "Innovation and Competitiveness", Presentation entitled: "Beyond Architecture - Innovation, Education and the Future Generation", Nagykanizsa, Medgyaszay House, 07. November.2013
2012 17Th International Scientific Conference of Young Engineers Presentation entitled: "Vertical Necropolis" - Mexico City, 22-23. March 2012, Cluj-Napoca, ROMANIA
2011 16Th International Scientific Conference of Young Engineers Presentations entitled: “The context of Temporary City: reflections on a workshop” and “Children's corner - a contemporary kindergarten building”, 24-25. March 2011, Cluj-Napoca, ROMANIA
PROFESSIONAL AND PUBLIC AWARDS:
2021 Master Teacher Gold Medal - 35th National Scientific Conference of Students, National Council of Student's Research on Science and Art (OTDT), Pro Scientia Gold Medal Award Committee - for supporting the scientific research work of students, for outstanding work as a topic leader and science organizer
2021 Mihály Pollack Medal Silver Grade, for excellence in educational organisership, teaching and talent management
2020 Pro Cura Ingenii Honour - an award established by the Senate of the University of Pécs, which can be awarded to the following persons on the recommendation of the Talent Council - awarded annually to two faculty members per faculty who have made outstanding achievements in talent management
2017 Mihály Pollack Medal Bronze Grade, for the educational-, scientific-, research- and public activities, and for the outstanding results achieved in the development of Institute's organization conditions
2001 Szent Mór highschool’s Sport Center architectural design competition, I.PRIZE
(5 most significant from the last ten years)
2020 CIBE - Development of the so-called West- Campus at the University of Pécs and Centre for Biomedical Engineering and Innovation Building. Architectural design as a responsible designer within the framework of the Biomedical Engineering Project of the Thematic Excellence Programme 2019 (TUDFO/51757-1/2019-ITM), (Gabriella MEDVEGY Dr., Gábor VERES Dr., Donát RÉTFALVI Dr., Balázs KOKAS Dr., and Tamás RÁCZ and Tibor KUKAI Dr.) Concept plan. Location: Pécs, Hungary.
2014 Heritage protection, Reconstruction and development of the Rudnyánszky – Mondbach – Frankl building comlpex, Dunaújváros, Hungary (Tamás, KONDOR Dr., Donát RÉTFALVI Dr.)
2011 Information and costumer center of Pannon Volán Public Transportation Company, Pécs, Hungary (Gabriella MEDVEGY Dr., Gábor VERES Dr., Donát RÉTFALVI Dr.)
2011 Interior design of Polyák Winery, Kunszállás, Hungary
2006-2008 The Reconstruction and Enlargement of Campus Building UP Faculty of Engineering and IT, Pécs, Hungary (Ákos Hutter Dr., Csaba ROHOSKA, Donát RÉTFALVI Dr.)
WORKSHOPS, EXHIBITIONS, AND SCIENTIFIC PUBLICATIONS:
(5 most significant from the last five years)
2021 New Normal – Design by Research/Research by Design, Exhibition about Research and Design at UP FEIT Institute of Architecture, Wuhan Design Week, 2021, Wuhan, China
2019 People with Dementia as Active Participants in Studies Related to the Built Environment: A Systematic Review – Marx FERNANDA, Donát RÉTFALVI dr., JOURNAL OF AGING AND ENVIRONMENT 35 : 1 pp. 77-87. , 11 p. (2021) DOI: 10.1080/26892618.2020.1793440, Volume 35, 2021 - Issue 1, https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/26892618.2020.1793440?journalCode=wjhe21
2016 2th Geosymbiotic Workshop at Bantayan Island, Transformable Furniture Group, group-leader, 18-30. August 2016, Bantayan Island, Philippines
2013 Offroad Architecture workshop, consultant professor, 23.sept.-04.oct. 2013., Graz, Ausztria
2008-2010 Temporary City – Student workshops in the frame of the cooperation between 2010 Cultural Capital's universities, lecturer, group leader – Duisburg, Pécs, Istanbul
PROFESSIONAL PUBLIC LIFE, MEMBERSHIPS:
(5 most significant)
· Member of the Association of Hungarian Architects (MÉSZ)
· Member of Chamber of Hungarian Architects (MÉK) architect (No: É -02-0610) since 2003; chief interior designer (BÉ1-02-0610) since 2008
· Hungarian Academy of Sciences (MTA), member of the public body, member of Scientific Committee for Architecture, Pécs Regional Committee, Committee for Construction, Architecture and Technical Training
· Lakni kell! /We all need a home: Annual workshop aiming the creation of installations raising awareness of homelessness and the design and development of living spaces in shelters in cooperation with non-profit organizations.
· Development of residential buildings in Gilvánfa: EU-funded project aiming the renovation of residential homes in a deprived settlement of Baranya county impacting 8 buildings and 32 residents.
· Space Poetry: Annual creative and heritage protection summer camp in Transylvania, between 2014 and 2017, aiming the development of the village Énlaka, by designing and constructing community spaces including a playground, a viewpoint, landart etc.
· Bőköz Festival participation: Creating installations at a 4-day annual event in one of Hungary's economically poorest but culturally richest regions.
· Researchers' Nights: Annual scientific event aiming to break down the stereotypes regarding researchers and their position in the world of science and work.
· The New Normal campaign: A series of marketing activities in order to increase the number of female students in STEM majors and supporting the female students in our ongoing programmes, including mentoring programme, scholarship, research identifying problems and their sources, determining stereotypes and breakthrough possibilities, cooperation with national media, making short films.
· Experience Workshop: innovative education project for high-school students aiming to inspire them through artistic creation and inviting a creative dialogue between the mathematical and artistic way of looking at sciences.
List of All Publications at Hungarian Collection of Scientific Publications (MTMT)
residential building design, heritage protection, public building design, interior design, architectural theory, architectural CAD
THESIS TOPIC PROPOSALS:
— The recycling and rethinking of existing buildings or sustainability are the most fundamental piece of contemporary architectural thinking. The assessment, evaluation and possible reuse of the vulnerable, neglected valuable buildings is one of the keys for our future.
— Contemporary low-cost high quality interior design
— Social and temporary architecture in the mirror of Art Disciplines - Building a community through architecture
— New possibilities in Architectural presentation and visualisation (3D, VR, AR, Game Engines, etc.) Opensource solutaion — Vernacular architecture with ethnological research, architectural heritage protection, archaeological research and restoration